| Tanvir - Sadat - Shafayet |
Much of what I offered them came
from years of watching students find their way, often by paths no one could
have predicted. I told them about a student who once struggled to write even a
single coherent page, weak in reading, writing, and interaction, who went on to
become a faculty member at a university. I told them about others who moved
from one discipline entirely into another after their undergraduate years and
thrived precisely because of that shift — one now pursuing doctoral work at
Brown 9moving from mechanical engineering to oceanic research), another at
Sheffield (moving from CSE to machine learning) and yet another who moved from
economics to corporate financing and now want to pursue a career in
architecture. These stories matter to me not as inspiration for its own sake
but as evidence: the undergraduate years are not meant to lock a person into a
single specialization forever. They are meant to build a foundation broad
enough to stand on, whatever direction a person eventually chooses to walk in.
| Rayeed - Waysal - Faraz |
To all six of them, I tried to
return again and again to a single idea: the most important thing a young
person can do right now is find the sector they want to work in, and then build
both their academics and their skills deliberately toward it. One of the best
ways to do this is to begin writing — a research paper if they are ready for
it, but even something smaller and more accessible is a start. I encouraged
them to write short, plain-language essays on platforms like Medium, or to
start a blog of their own, the way I have kept mine alive for the past thirteen
or fourteen years now. I told them to keep something on GitHub, however modest,
because a visible record of work speaks louder than a claim of interest ever
will. And I was direct about LinkedIn: it matters, but only if the writing is
genuinely their own. Platforms are increasingly able to detect AI-generated
posts and flag them quietly to page owners, even if readers never see the flag
— so the only real strategy is to write honestly, in their own voice, and to
engage with people sincerely rather than performing engagement.
I also urged them toward
mathematics and toward the newer technological tools reshaping every field they
might enter, regardless of discipline. There are excellent free courses
available now — from Google, from Andrew Ng, and from other serious educators —
and there is no longer any real excuse for a curious student not to explore
them. I asked them, too, to read this blog, not because I think it holds any
special wisdom, but because thirteen years of writing about books, teaching,
and the questions students bring me is itself a kind of case study in staying
curious for the long haul. I look forward to sitting with this bunch again
soon, and to watching where each of their particular paths leads.
There is so plenty much to work
on that can NOT be done in just one sitting. So, let’s meet with clear agenda
and get it done before your current semester is over.
Everyone is requested to bring a laptop - I can arrange one additional laptop if necessary. Prior to our meeting it would be great to have a CV including a plan for profession and a description of interests (academic, technical skill, hobbies both creative and recreational)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments may be moderated by Shahidul Mamun before publishing.